Thursday, November 15, 2007

What's Goin' On: exposure to environmental toxins lately?

My friend Lauren has a great site, blog and yahoo list -- healthyparenting.com that I love (!). This blog entry of hers has a link to check your 'body burden' in terms of what you are being exposed to. Fascinating and educational. Worth checking out:

http://healthyparenting.net/blog/2007/11/10/whats-your-body-burden/

Why does it matter to know, you may ask? For one thing, we are being exposed to far more chemicals and overall environmental toxins than any previous generation. Let me say that again, it bears repeating: we are being exposed to far more chemicals and overall environmental toxins than any previous generation. Many believe this may be a link to the rise in breast cancer over the years, for one thing. To our children reaching puberty at earlier and earlier ages. And my own pet theory: the unbelievable rise in allergies and asthma in both adults and children (how? Because in a nutshell this exposure creates waste in our bodies that cannot be processed and therefore causes a rise in inflammatory response, which in turn equals auto-immune issues, allergies, etc). I know that this kind of information is scary at best, and therefore easy to ignore. But if we don't educate ourselves-- if we don't know-- we can't change it.

Are you worth it? Is your child worth it? Is your world worth it?

Blessings,
MsThistle
(who is now thinking about how I can actually be more active in what I want to do about what I know. Y'know, walk the talk and all...I'd love ideas...)

No comments: